Saturday, March 29, 2014

Running 101: Beginners


Hello, all!  I have definitely been lacking on my blogging, and for that I apologize.  Life gets hectic sometimes! :)


Lately I have been approached by a few people asking me for running tips, specifically,  "how do I start running?" So today I would like to address that.  Running is a sport that requires dedicated practice, constant motivation, and a whole lot of patience.  So if you are a newbie to the running scene, or you've been out of commission for a while and want to hop back on that horse, read on!



Start Slow.

Building up endurance takes time.  Do not try to do too much at once, that's how injuries happen!  I suggest a run/walk sequence.  It is great for beginners and/or runners that have been sitting out on an injury for a while.  Start by walking briskly for a couple of minutes to warm up, then run for one minute (not too fast now!), then walk another minute. Repeat, say, ten times or so.  Do this for a week and gradually build yourself up to running for two minutes  and only walking one minute.  The point is to increase GRADUALLY, do not try to overdo it!  And don't worry about speed, that will come in time! 


Keep a Journal

Keep a notebook nearby where you can jot down your runs.  You can write down how long you ran for, how it felt, if anything hurt, etc.  Keeping a running journal is a great way to track your progress and also to refer back to in case you seem to have a nagging injury.  


Stay Hydrated

There are so many reasons why staying hydrated is undoubtedly one of the most important things for runners, but to name a few: drinking lots of water will help against lactic acid build up, it will regulate body temperature, it will lubricate the joints (and running is so tough on our joints!), and it will transport all the nutrients from our food that we need for energy and good health.  Without being properly hydrated dizziness, fatigue, muscle cramps, or worse could set in.


Stretch, Stretch, and Stretch Some More!

As most of you know I practice yoga just as much as I do running, and I will tell you why!  We runners have a tendency to tighten right up when we run, and it's extremely important to uncoil our muscles before and after our runs!  Stretching lightly pre-run will help reduce muscle soreness, and stretching post-run will help release lactic acid build up in the muscles.  Plus, I've noticed since I've started practicing certain yoga poses (mainly hip-openers) I've had a lot less aches and pains during my runs.


Be Patient and Love Yourself

Like I said before, building up endurance and stamina takes time.  It is important to know that if you stay dedicated to the practice, the results will come.  Don't beat up on yourself if you couldn't go as far or as fast as you would have liked to, you will get there! Hey, if it were easy then everyone would be doing it, right?  And runners certainly aren't "everybody"...we're a special kind of crazy. :)


Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment